Monday, February 12, 2007

My first project on guru

Some month ago I won a simple and interesting project, on guru.com.
I must took data from http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mn/nwis/current/?type=flow and put them to Lotus Notes Database. The main problem of this task is that I had no any connection like as ODBC or other to database where data store. I didn’t know real good solution for this task.
So, for receiving data I used next script:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dim request As Variant
Dim content As String

Const URL = "http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mn/nwis/current/?type=flow"

Set request = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
Call request.open("GET", URL, False)
Call request.send()
Let content = request.responseText
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I processed content of page, got data and put them to Lotus Notes Database.
Maybe it’s not best solution but on that moment I had no better ideas.

My customer was very happy, paid me 50$ and gave me good reference.

1 comment :

Sergey Redko said...

Cool solution !